More than the actual DAY of Christmas, I enjoy the few days before and the few days after, just because they are filled with so much family, so much fun, and so little responsibility. :) John, Heather, Mackenna, and the pups will be joining us a few days after Christmas, and I can hardly wait. More family, more fun!
No matter how many loved ones come home for Christmas, though, our hearts are still remembering the one member of our family who won't be coming home for Christmas. David has been in Iraq for about 3 weeks now. He's safe, he's learning the ropes, and he's glad to have the opportunity to serve his country. Christmas definitely won't be the same without having him home to share in it. I'm so glad to be around the rest of my family, but there's definitely a large void around the Christmas tree and around the house that no one else can fill. Sometimes I wonder if our circumstances are harder for me or harder for him, especially at such a family-oriented and fun time of the year. I feel like David is handling things so well; I know he misses home - I can hear it in his voice every time I talk to him - but I don't see him fall apart over missing home the way I fall apart over missing him. I at least have the comforts of home, plenty of family to surround myself with, the promise of a smoked turkey on Christmas, and plenty of chocolate-food items donated from my students, friends, and neighbors to get me by till then. David is outfitted in a small trailor type room-for-two, is surrounded by his battle-buddies, and has the promise of MRE's at any time he feels the need to consume 8000 calories in 20 minutes. I miss him terribly, but I think I have the better end of the deal. It's healthy for me to remember that. By looking at the situation from HIS end, I certainly can see that I have cozier circumstances than he does. He is bearing this weight quite well - and so honorably. I just hope that he gets a few surprises on or around Christmas to brighten his day and lighten his load. Thank you to all those who have donated items to be sent to the troops overseas. Whether or not any of them are received by David, they will be received by someone's husband or wife, father or mother, son or daughter, and they will be appreciated.
Merry Christmas, y'all!
3 comments:
Robyn I love you and hope you have a wonderful Christmas. I heard a song today on the radio and I thought of you and my sister-in-law. You should go hear it and watch the video. www.bringhimhomesanta.com go to "videos" and then press play. I cried the whole song.
Love you much
Wil was home sick last Thursday and David happened to surprise us with a call on Skype. I've been thinking about you ever since. The boys loved talking to Uncle Fishlips... Monkey is still talking about it. I don't know how you do it. Your strength inspires me to be more grateful for what I have. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We are so excited to see you soon. We love you!
Merry Christmas Robyn, I love you - I am grateful you have your family around you this Christmas season! I am looking forward to seeing you in January!
Post a Comment