Saturday, September 11, 2010

Waiting on Baby


38.5 weeks pregnant - a week and a half to my due date - and finally feeling "ready". Up to about a week ago I was content with just being pregnant. I've loved dreaming about our daughter and feeling her kicks and squirms, but was content with dreaming and anticipating her arrival. Every time I'd think about the reality of her actually being born and all that goes along with delivering a baby and having a new baby in the home and the responsibility of parenthood etc etc, I'd be glad that the reality hadn't arrived yet. Of course, excited that it was on the horizon, but not quite prepared. But now...now I think I'm ready. Of course, you can never be FULLY ready for something like this, but the uncomfortableness of being 9 months pregnant and the building excitement of it all has finally outweighed the emotional, physical, and mental anxiety that accompanies the prospects of first-time parenthood.

Another interesting twist - we don't have a name picked out for baby yet. We did, but now we're not so sure. So for those who are waiting for the birth announcement, don't be too shocked if it doesn't read "Ava Hillary was born at .... " It might be Ava Hillary, it might be something similar, or it might be something completely different. We have a few alternate names rolling around in our heads, but we're to the point now that we're probably going to make it a "wait and see what fits" decision. I'm actually surprised that I'm not worried about this. Preparedness and planning are so ingrained in my personality that I would usually be so preoccupied with getting a name set in stone that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything else. But I'm actually okay with not knowing what will go on the birth certificate.

So wish us luck in our waiting game, and even more luck when the waiting game turns into parenthood. :) I've loved this journey and can't wait to begin the next phase of it.

11 comments:

Morgan Family said...

I'm super excited for you!!! I am a planner too!! The room looks CUTE!!! Good luck!!!!

The Edstrom Family said...

Good luck girly!! So excited for you both & your baby girl- I hope it goes well for you!

Kris Hewitt said...

So funny how names can really be a difficult thing. You obviously know we are a big fan of the wait and see. We didn't even have a name until day 3 in the hospital. (Guess it was a good thing I had a c-section.) We are so excited for you new step in life. It definitely is unlike any other. One thing I will say is how surprised I was at how much love I could actually have for something. I never thought I could feel or have more love than what I have for Billy, but that has been surpassed exponentially. We love you guys. Call anytime.

Heather said...

We are getting excited for you and so excited to see the first pics of our new niece! Just tell me one of the names you are thinking about is not Delaney. John and I both decided this week that's what the new baby's name will be if it is a girl. And it takes us a long time usually to decide! Wishing you the best and praying for a speedy delivery! Love you guys!

Marcus n McKenzie said...

I just got that same shirt. We are the same way with a name too. We are waiting to see what fits. Good luck with the next couple of weeks. I hope she comes quickly!

aflescarb.blogspot.com said...

I was wondering if the big day has arrived...way excited for u

Andrea said...

You and David will be GREAT parents!! The room is ADORABLE!!! I wish I could see you and meet your little girl before she is huge, but I am not sure if that will happen! Love ya and I hope for a speedy delivery and recovery for you! Her name will be perfect no matter what it ends up being! Love you all!

Ashlie said...

We have never had a name picked out before the birth. With our first we had a name in mind, but when we looked at her we knew it wouldn't work, so we didn't really talk about names with the second. We have thrown a few names around this time, but are going to wait until the baby is born to see what it is and see what name fits. Good luck with everything. Can't wait to see pictures!

Elaine said...

You Look very cute, and the room is adorable, I my self think that Lainee Colleen is a perfect name. Good luck. Love you

Mimi said...

Looking good! Can't wait to come see you all.

Love you bunches

Hillary Clemens said...

Sis. You. are. adorable. The room turned out great. Love the crib under the tree. Can't wait to hear the labor stories and see if she has hair. Yee hee. LOVE YOU.

Blog Archive