I've lived in Houston since July 2006, and David joined me here in August 2007. In all the time we've spent in Houston Humidity, we've never TAKEN the time to visit the reason (or one of the reasons) for that humidity. So as one of our "bucketlist items" of things to do before we put Houston to our rear-view mirror, we decided to take a day off and go to the beach. So on Monday, May 19 we ventured off to Freeport, TX.
I think I had more fun looking at all the birds on the coast than I did playing in the water - and for those of you who know me best I'm sure you're not surprised by that. In fact, the day was so full of birdwatching that it inspired us to create a BECKER BIRD LIST (viewable at the bottom of the blog). It's a list of all the birds that we've seen and identified together starting May 19, 2007. (We've seen plenty of birds together before, but have never kept track of them.)
We took some time to walk through the waves while soaking in the salty wind and sun. We also found many "treasures" along the way - including crab shells and clam shells (with all the crab and clam eaten out by those greedy gulls), crab claws, seashells of all shapes, colors, and sizes, and washed up sting rays and jellyfish. I'm sure to frequent beachers these are normal finds, but we got pretty excited by them...and yes, we even collected a few. (No jellyfish or sting-rays of course, but the crab shells and claws and seashells will come in very handy as show-and-tell items when I get around to the invertebrates unit in my Biology class next year.)
By the end of our time at the beach we were perfectly spent. Not too much sun and not too little, not too tired but definitely ready to head back home, and just sandy and wind-blown enough to prove that we had fun.
2 comments:
We like the beach too, however there's nothing relaxing about it when you add any number of little people to be responsible for too :)
here's our blog too...I'm a bit slow right now sorry... http://pawakefields@blogspot.com
Post a Comment