Sunday, October 5, 2008

Blessed


The first weekend of April and the first weekend of October definitely rank high on my "favorite days of the year" list. Reason? General Conference!!! (To watch archive videos of General Conference, click here.)

For those who are unfamiliar with General Conference, here is a brief synopsis. General Conference is a two-day meeting that is held twice a year for the body of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and for the world. During this meeting (or series of meetings, rather) prophets, apostles, and other leaders of the Church address members of the Church and non-members world-wide. The meeting is held in Salt Lake City, but is broadcast throughout the world via internet, radio, satellite transmission, etc. The speakers prayerfully prepare messages that are designed to lift those with in the range of their voices to higher ground. Their messages are truly messages from God, spoken by His servants who live on this earth. They are messages of hope, faith, and love. They are messages of encouragement and instruction. They are messages that if headed can guide our lives, strengthen our resolve, and give us the joy and happiness that our loving Heavenly Father intends us to have.

FAVORITES...
Every General Conference leaves me with a list of favorites - favorite talks, favorite quotes, favorite feelings and impressions, and favorite memories.

Favorite talks:

There's so many, but I'll try to narrow it down to only a few.

  • Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles - Elder Wirthlin spoke on overcoming trials by learning to laugh even when times are hard or frustrating, by viewing trials through an eternal lens, by remembering that we will be compensated for the struggles that we have, and that we must put our trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ who know us, love us, and will never give us a task or trial that we can not accomplish or overcome.
  • Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge of the Seventy - Elder Corbridge spoke about Jesus Christ being the ONLY way, the truth, the life, the beginning and the end. He passionately communicated that any other way than Christ's way is foolishness. We must come unto Christ, and we have divine help strengthening us as we make the journey.
  • Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles - Elder Bednar expanded on his last General Conference address and gave further instruction on how to make prayer more meaningful. He encouraged us to counsel with the Lord in all our doings, to express more gratitude in our prayers, and to pray for the needs of others.
  • Sister Elaine S. Dalton of the General Young Women's Presidency - Sis. Dalton encouraged us and counseled us to be guardians of virtue rather than consumers of vice.
  • President Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church - President Monson addressed the change that is eminent in each of our lives and encouraged us to embrace and learn from change. He counseled us to live each day and find joy in the journey rather than neglect today by always wishing for tomorrow.
  • Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles - Elder Nelson spoke on the wonderful blessings of eternal marriage and eternal families, encouraging all to seek the supremest relationships available on this earth and throughout the eternities by making and keeping temple covenants.
Favorite quotes:
  • "Come what may, and love it!" - Elder Joseph B. Worthlin (recount of his mother's advice)
  • "Meekness is not weakness; it is the badge of Christian courage." - Elder Robert D. Hales
Favorite feelings/impressions:
  • The work of the Lord is HUGE. It's bigger than any of us, but we have been lovingly invited to participate.
  • I have a purpose in God's kingdom, and I pray that I may represent Him well.
  • Live everyday with purpose. Find something joyful in each day and relish in it!
  • This great nation was founded by God; by being patriots to the nation we are also patriots to God.
  • Make the best out of the worst of times.
Favorite memories:

  • Hearing an audible GASP from the congregation when President Monson announced that a temple will be built in Rome Italy - the Catholic capitol of the world.
  • Listening to frail Elder Worthlin speak of his glory days as a football player and tell humorous stories of his life.
  • Listening to the primary children sing "I am a Child of God".
  • Remembering past general conferences with Hillary, Julie, Ande, and countless other friends and roommates as we'd "make our pilgrimage" to Salt Lake City and enjoyed sessions of conference in the Conference Center and on Temple Square.
I love General Conference! I always walk away feeling that my burdens are lighter, my spirit is stronger, and my faith is firmer. The greatest blessing of General Conference, however, is that my testimony of Jesus Christ is revitalized and reinforced, bolstered and burgeoned. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer and that He gave His life that I might be cleansed of sin; that he suffered and conquered the pains and weaknesses of the human flesh that I might be the recipient of His divine strength when mine is not enough; that He rose from the dead in immortal glory, showing each of us that we too will overcome death and that we too can live with Him if we but choose to follow Him. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized by Christ himself through the prophet Joseph Smith and that it has always been led by Christ and will always be led by Him.

6 comments:

Morgan Family said...

I too LOVE General Conference! They are my two favorite weekends of the year!!!!!!!!!! I crave it! I love what you recapped!! Those were my favorites too!!!

wil said...

nice post.

I will have to revisit the post as I read and listen to the talks again.

w.

Anonymous said...

I was excited to hear about all the new temples.

Hillary Clemens said...

Blessed to have you as my sister. Thanks for sharing the testimony you've put so much into. I love you.

Crystal said...

hi Robyn! I saw on Gretchen's blog you had a blog. Yay! I love blogs!

I really loved the Joy in the Journey talk by President Monson. I've got a big about it on my blog here .

Danielle said...

I loved Elder Wirthlin's talk too. Thank you for reminding me about conference and the wonderful spirit that it brings! I'm glad I found your blog and keep up with y'all.

Blog Archive