Saturday, September 27, 2008

Blog-worthy

My name is Robyn Becker, and I'm a deliquent blogger. I realized a few days ago that it's been about 6 weeks since I last updated my blog. In the blogging world that might be considered a sin. At least something to be looked down upon. I think the reason I don't blog as often as I should or even as often as I'd like is because I don't consider a whole lot of what I might have to publish to be blog-worthy. No funny anectodes, no exciting stories, no new pictures to post, and to be honest, no real time to type a short paragraph and click "PUBLISH POST". (I'm deviating from my designated teacher-planning time to even type this.) I also feel this pressure to be witty or thought-provoking in the combination of words that might make a fleeting debut in cyberspace, but why? Is this some funny form of tech pressure?

So, here's my best attempt at a blog-worthy post.

I think I have teaching amnesia. I forget what it's like to live through the first six-weeks of a school year until the end of August floats around again and I realize why teachers are on salary pay. If we were paid by the hour - and then paid overtime for all of the EXTRA hours we put in - our yearly incomes would be in the triple digits. My life revolves around 140 9th graders. I eat, sleep, and breathe high school biology, and when I'm not at school I'm planning for school or am grading the products of a day in school. 140 kids generate a lot of work. Last year I managed to become efficient enough to have at least 2 hours a day of non-school related time...I'm trying to work towards that again but it's tough. Wish me luck.

As for David, he's still working hard and trying to "hoo-ah" his way through Ft. Stewart, GA. He'll be training there for another month or so before shipping overseas. He's enjoying this round of training a lot more than he has trainings in the past. Ft. Stewart provides higher-speed trainings and he does a lot less of the "hurry up and wait" training that he has received previously. Right now we're both looking forward to Halloween. He'll have a few days of leave at the beginning of November, so I'm flying up to GA Halloween night to spend some time with him. It can't come soon enough!

9 comments:

Hillary Clemens said...

Sis.

Let me point out a few things to you. A) You are witty and clever all of the time. You crack me up. So, I think that you should shut-down any of this pre-publishing anxiety and dash off short paragraphs any time that you like. B)I also feel that you should pardon your delinquency. While I must admit to feeling similar guilt, I also admit to being buried in stacks of student work. We aren't the NYT, and we don't have to keep the world posted through our postings every day. For heavens sake - we have cell phones! C)I think we should take "hoo-ah"ing through as our new mode of coping. That sounded like fun.

Sure wish half my posts were as funny as half of this single post of yours. Miss your face. Love you. P.S. I have some super cell secrets... remember "cells, sex, and socks", but I'd hate to release them to the general public. Call me.

Morgan Family said...

Robyn! I personally just enjoy hearing what's going on in your life!!!!! I didn't know you are a 9th grade biology teacher!!! So, just hearing those kinds of things are fun!!!! Hope you are doing great!

Mimi said...

I love to read your comments and I echo most of what Hillary said.

Besides how else can I know what is going on in David's life.

At least he called me last week :)

Love you both and I just like to feel in touch.

Mary

Sarah Kathryn said...

Bobyn!

David called me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was great until it came time to hang up because my phone was dying. Then all the sudden the tears came. You are so amazing and I don't know how you do it. You are brave. I look up to you so much.

I'm just as delinquent as you are. I have a post I started two weeks ago and it's still not posted, let alone finished.

I LOVE YOU!!!

Phannie said...

Robyn,
It's so great to hear from you. I love reading your posts. You are just as witty as anyone I know. I have the same problem with knowing exactly what to post, and feeling that there is nothing completely worthy of posting. It's crazy. BUt just remember that no matter how unexciting you think it is, it's really exciting to keep up on the news for us. We love you and want to share all experiences with you even though we can't be as close in proximity.
Love ya,
Steph

Generational stitcher said...

There's more to life then keeping everyone updated, not that we don't appreciate it...I only do it to zone out my kids for a few minutes and to keep my in laws in the loop. Kids, of your own, and living away from family make it easier to keep up on it. Don't stress, but glad to hear how things are going, and ditto Hill

Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it any better myself! I crumble under the pressures of having a cutesy, witty, and fun blog. But then I came to realize that it just doesn't matter. Who really cares about those things anyway?? We just want to hear from you and know that you're surviving. It looks like you are! Hoo-ah!

Tyson and Laurel said...

Hey. wow. I found Hillary's blog and yours, how fun! this is Laurel McClellan... you married David! Congratulations! You guys look so happy. That is awesome. here is my email if you have a second to write... laurel_youngberg@yahoo.com

suzeq said...

Robyn,

So glad to hear that 9th grade Bio was the same as 10th in the big city. Miss you much and our fun days at the Ridge. . . things here are still the same with Rich. God has his reasons I am certain. We are going to drive to MO in two weeks for a wedding and plan on traveling around for a while. Take care of yourself!! Tell David to learn to duck and cover.

Susan

Blog Archive