Instead of giving an entirely boring and unnecesarily detailed account of the goings on in my life for the past few months, I'll just give some insights into what I seemed to be obsessed with as of late. Having a plan. I'm a planner. I go insane if I don't have a plan, and I feel completely flustered if my plans get debunked. I feel like January and Febuary of this year have had a few planning successes and a few planning fiascos. I'll illustrate with the success I'm proudest of, and the fiasco I'm still trying to un-fiasco.
- Success: New Years Goals - I prefer setting New Years goals over setting New Years resolutions. A resolution is too intimidating, too final, and too absolute. I feel that if I set resolutions that I have no room for weakness, and let's face it, there's always a day that we just can't - or don't - make it to the gym. Or a day where we give in to the cookie jar when we know we shouldn't. Or a day that we honestly forget to do whatever it was that we resolved to do just because life is busy and crazy. And then...here comes the guilt. "I've already broken my resolution and it's only January 5th!" We all have good intentions, and all of our resolutions are truely things that we'd like to accomplish in the upcoming year, but who says we have to be perfect at them immediately? A goal allows us time to work towards accomplishing that "good intention" in baby steps. Much less intimidating, and honestly, I believe it to be much more motivating. I've divided each of my goals for 2009 down into manageable steps, and hopefully by working one step at a time I can achieve those goals by December. I admit, I wasn't perfect in January, but no where in my goal plan did I designate perfection. I still have 10.5 months to revamp and retry. I have seen improvement in many of my goal areas, and it's rewarding to know that I'm on my way!
- Fiasco: Post-deployment plans - Being the planner that I am, I like to know where I will be, what I will be doing, how I will be doing it, and all the in-betweens at least a year in advance. I've schemed up at least 5 different scenarios of our lives "post-deployment" and we still haven't settled on one - probably because none of them are ideal. (The details are too much to cover in this post - maybe I'll save it for another and hope for some input.) The whole "not-knowing-what's-happening-past-May" thing is driving me nuts. I dwell on it all too much and nothing really seems to be falling into place. Hopefully when David comes home on leave we'll be able to work through the details, choose an option, pray about it, and hopefully get a lead as to what the Lord has in store for us.
7 comments:
Hey Robyn! We just found a link to your blog on Gretchen and Erick's page. We look forward to seeing all y'all (I'm assuming your coming up for Jim's wedding) in a couple weeks. Take care,
Denis and Lisa
http://denisandlisaclayson.blogspot.com/
I love the idea of goals rather than resolutions!!!
Thanks for that.
I also look every day for an update so thanks to Jim for motivating you. However I am much worse at writing than you are. LOL
As I have gotten older Heavenly Father has taught me very well how to overcome my "overplanningitis" It's still not something that I am perfect at, and other times I fall in the opposite direction, but I totally understand what you mean. As long as you are trying to have a plan and trust that Heavenly Father will lead you to the best end for you, it will all work out in the end. Keep smilin! It'll all work out :)
I love this post - resolutions are far too intimidating and I'm glad someone finally pointed that out! I used to be a big planner and sadly, the military has changed that in me because it is IMPOSSIBLE to plan in the military. Just when you think all is well, they throw you a curve ball and there you are!!! So now it's just a "general idea" itinerary for me rather than a "set in stone" plan. Good luck with your post-deployment planning - love you guys!
Yes, I am happy that I get to read something from my sister and feel like I am keeping up with her blog. :) I love you and thanks for posting!
Robyn,
This is Kelli Jones (Uncle Vay's daughter... long-lost cousin) I just found your blog and it was SO good to see how you are doing! Sounds like everything is going well for you, and I must say... you are an amazing woman. I believe any woman with a military husband is amazing... I know I would never be able to do it. Anyway... it was so good to see how you are doing! I hope everything keeps going well for you.
Like Gretchen said, it's pretty impossible to plan in the military. What I do (because I am a plan-a-holic) is take your 6 options and plan them all. I've made it quite a game. I then get to plan where we'll live, what we'll do, etc. I find it's a joy for my inner planning demon and in the end, I really am like a boyscout: almost totally prepared.
(Of course, when I've planned everything there is to plan, Heavenly Father/the Navy likes to through us a curve ball and I have to plan 10 all new scenarios with far less time. XD)
Post a Comment