Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Holidays

I've realized that the holidays have come and gone and that I have failed to record even so much as a picture or a funny family moment or a reflection on the thoughts and feelings invoked by the season. My deepest apologies - and with that apology I'll do the best I can to debrief.

THANKSGIVING = Clemens Family Reunion

Usually we save the Clemens Family Reunion for the week after Christmas, but we came upon a complication (although a welcome one) this year. Pregnancy. Now before anyone gets too excited, I'm not pregnant...but Karisa is! Jim and Ris will be welcoming a baby girl into their home in February, and the doctor advised against traveling from December on, so we rearranged travel plans and the whole family was able to come in for Thanksgiving. I love how well our family gets along. It's a party everytime! And every new member of the family just multiplies the fun.

CHRISTMAS #1 = A Night in Bethlehem


On December 11, the San Angelo wards and branches hosted a "Night in Bethlehem". We invited families and friends to come and enjoy the 1st Christmas. The night began with some music and a theatrical presentation of some prophecies of Christ's birth. Then, the audience was invited to enter the streets of Bethlehem. They were "taxed" and signed a census before entering the city (cultural hall that had been transformed into a busy street lined by shops where the merchants could get food, clothing, toys, etc.) After 45 minutes of mingling, shopping, eating, etc., Mary and Joseph weaved through the crowd, searching for room in an inn. After the crowd settled down, a nativity play began. All were invited to witness and celebrate the birth of Christ along with the angels and shepherds that were present that night. The "Night in Bethlehem" was such a wonderful reminder of the reason for the season. And from my seat backstage - I felt extremely blessed. I wrote and directed the theatrical portions of the evening, and at times in the previous months as the play was "coming together" I became so stressed out with the "particulars" that I forgot to enjoy the message. On the night of the production, the presentation of the play wasn't perfect but it was perfectly placed and the perfect reminder of what a special season Christmas really is. I'm grateful for the opportunity that I had to reflect upon the true meaning of Christmas.

CHRISTMAS #2 = Becker Building Brigade



A week before Christmas, David's family came down to San Angelo to help build a deck on our front porch. The deck isn't finished, but it came a long way while they were here, and we were glad for the help and the company. That night, we had a small early-Christmas. We made lasagna (a Becker Christmas Eve tradition), Mary passed out stockings for everyone, a few presents were exchanged, and the kids put on a nativity play for us. I'm glad we were able to spend time with David's family, but sometimes I wish that TIME grew on trees, not money. That's the only thing we were lacking - just a little more time to enjoy being together.

CHRISTMAS #3 = Last Minute Traditions

For some reason, Christmas never starts looking like Christmas at my parent's house until Christmas Eve, and so it was this year. On Christmas Eve, Mom and Dad found a 6 or 7 foot Fir on sale for $5 and borrowed a tree stand from some friends. The tree went up, the lights and beads went on, and David, Hillary, and I stayed up till 2 o'clock in the morning to sew and stuff stockings (among other things) and to make the house feel a little more like Christmas. We enjoyed our Christmas (and took it nice and slow) and enjoyed the company of family and a friend for Christmas dinner. Nothing over the top, but filled with good things.

NEW YEAR'S = Raw Steak and Rock Band rings in 2010

One of our family traditions for New Year's Eve is having oil fondue for dinner. There's nothing like raw steak bites, shrimp, cheese, pineapple, dipping sauces, metal skewers, and a boiling pot of oil to cook it all with to ring out the old and ring in the new. May sound strange - but I really love it. After our fondue, we went to a "bring the family" New Year's party at a friend's house. Kids age 1 - 66 were there, and the majority of them were vying for a spot as drummer, singer, or guitarist to the tune of "Yellow Submarine", "Can't Buy Me Love", and "Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". We dropped the ball (really a balloon filled with confetti) at 10:00 instead of midnight, but with toddlers on board it was necessary. Noise makers of all sorts and kinds were handed out to young and old - and by the way - 4 and 5 year olds are PROS at using noise makers. David gave them all a run for their money though. :)

POST NEW YEAR'S = Gearing Up

I'm usually REALLY motivated at the beginning of a year to make goals and to start off on the right foot. This year? All the holiday fun has made me too exhausted to even consider it.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

nice recap! Thanks for the update. It is nice to see a glimpse of what we miss.

Love YOU Both!

Sarah Kathryn said...

I agree about time. I sure wish we could come down more often. Maybe after Peanut's surgery and when Flash has a job where we can take a weekend home. We love you guys!

Mom's Place said...

Loved your re-cap!! I'm so glad that you guys decided to build a deck! I got to see Sarah and Jean for the first time since right after I had Zada! That was SOOOOO nice to be able to catch up!

Colleen Clemens said...

Great recap...yes, waiting until Christmas Eve to put up the tree was a childhood tradition. I hadn't quite reailized how well I'd carried it forward! This year with family around the last two months truly makes me love, appreciate, and miss you all.

Blog Archive