Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Hero

I've never really been a big fan of Valentine's Day - even when I've had a significant other to share it with. I'll be honest - most of the "not being a fan" comes from the pressure of finding something to give the significant other that's heartfelt, not too cliche, and that can somehow express how much you really do love them, care for them, and appreciate them. This year was no different - at first. And then David went and did something that was COMPLETELY unexpected. At first, I felt like it increased "the pressure", but gradually it changed my whole outlook of this Lover's Holiday.

The story begins last Monday - February 8. It was rainy and windy, and as I left the school at the end of the work-day I jetted out to my car as fast as I could go to find some relief from the elements. Once I got in my car, I noticed something on the windshield in a plastic grocery bag. The something on the inside was tinted red. Hmmm....so I hopped out of the car, grabbed the windshield item, and jumped back in the car as quickly as possible. The grocery bag held a red envelope - and inside that envelope was a Valentine's Day card.

"I was trying to make you the perfect valentine...
Then I realized, you already ARE the perfect Valentine. "

Then this -

"So what I have decided is that because you're so perfect you deserve seven days of Valentines. I love you sweetheart.... Your loving husband, David."

"P.S. This is day one."

My heart melts.

Day 2:

delivered to my classroom at school. And what makes it all the sweeter - David arranged these himself!

Now the pressure's on. What could I do for David that would even REMOTELY compare to what he's doing for me?

Day 3:
I've been wanting one of these for a LONG time. I live in it now. It's plush, it's warm, and it makes me feel like my house is my own day spa.

I have an idea for a V-day gift for David, but my issue is finding TIME to go and buy it. It's not as creative as his 7-days, but I think he'd really like it. While it doesn't scream "Valentine's Day" it's something that he would appreciate and would enjoy using.

Day 4: Another V-day card and a CD of songs that remind him of us. Many are songs that we've found together and many are new songs that I've never heard, but fit us to a T.

Day 5: A delicious homemade dinner by a roaring fire in the fireplace, and then cuddling up to a good book together with the fire still crackling in the background.

Day 6: A day outing with our dogs (a beautiful and sunny walk through the woods - one of our favorite past times) and a fondue dinner double date with my parents.

In between the day outing with the dogs and our fondue double date, I snagged my mom in an effort to go and purchase the gift, to wrap it in a nice big red ribbon, and to get the "perfect" V-day card to go along side it.

And we searched. And we searched. And we searched. Every store in town was OUT. Not because it was the day before Valentine's Day, but just because the item I was looking for was "out of season".

So, I settled for a V-day card, and I stole away for an hour or so Saturday evening while David was studying to write him a letter. As I wrote the letter, I came to a great realization.

David has always been a thoughtful and creative gift-giver. He puts me to shame. This whole week has been so fun and so HUMBLING. It really wasn't even the gifts (although they were WONDERFUL and I'm still enjoying them), it was the thought and the intent behind the gifts. This week has helped me realize, though, whether in season or not, David ALWAYS treats me as if it were Valentine's Day. On a daily basis, he gets up with me at 5:30 in the morning when he doesn't have to be anywhere until at least 9:00. He makes me breakfast while I'm in the bathroom acting like a mad-woman as I speed through hairbrushes, flat irons, pony tail holders, and eyeliner so I can be out the door by 5:55. While I'm at seminary he packs my lunch and has it ready for me when I get home so I can - again - act like a madwoman as I change out of my skirt and into my slacks for work and stuff my face with whatever food I wasn't able to scarf down before seminary. He sends me out the door with a hug and a kiss, and when I get home from work dinner is usually in the final stages. He serves me. Everyday. Selflessly. I'm his Valentine EVERYDAY.

I gave him the card and the letter on Saturday night. It wasn't much, but again, because David is so amazing he loved it as much as if I'd given him 7-days of Valentines too.

Day 7: My favorite chocolates - Ferroro Rocher. :)

Thank you David, for loving me and for teaching me. I hope that I can take your lessons to heart, and make everyday Valentine's day.

9 comments:

Phannie said...

very cute! Yeah David.

na said...

Wow. I need to get me a husband.

John said...

Ahh Sis,

Boy can I relate! There was a time when I like to think that I had perfected "romanticism." Then I met Heather.

At first maybe I was able to "out-do" her in the romantic surprise department. After all these years I personally believe she was just being nice to the "boy" that was "courting" her. :-)

Time & again she has "out-done" me to the point of utter frustration. You have found a valuable lesson that I've only realized after 12 YEARS of marriage.

It's all about sharing in one another. That touch, that look, that laugh that no one else but the two of you understand. That is my biggest joy each & everyday. Those moments that only Heather & I understand. For in those little touches, looks, & laughs we share an endless love that is only shared by two who are one. Happy Valentine's Day!

Love you, Sis

John said...

FYI - I meant to add this at the end of my post [made the same error on Hill's page earlier]. Find it to be quite fitting with our [Heather & I] philosopy of marriage.
"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person."
-Mignon McLaughlin

pollicino said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hillary Clemens said...

You two really are perfect together. I love David for loving you!

Mimi said...

Thank you for sharing! I love you both.

jlake said...

Okay, he's the sweetest! I need to have a chat with his mom, so I can learn how to raise sons like that! :)

Unknown said...

"I gave him the card and the letter on Saturday night. It wasn't much, but again, because David is so amazing he loved it as much as if I'd given him 7-days of Valentines too."

Don't let that stand! Get him back with 7 "random days of kindness" as time allows. That way you can spread some of the holiday through the upcoming months, maybe though the "in" season of the gift you were thinking of, and keep him on his toes. :)

Blog Archive