It's summer - and with summer comes preparing for the fall - and with fall comes a baby. It's striking me as odd, scary, exciting, and overwhelming that we will have a little one at home in 3 months. A baby with all sorts of baby needs. To put it short and sweet, I'm feeling unprepared. David and I have browsed the baby sections of stores and now, along with feeling unprepared, I'm also feeling overwhelmed. There's so much to choose from! Some of the baby items we've looked out were obvious "we need this" or "we like this one better than this one", but there's still a few that leave us scratching our heads. As first-time parents, we're in desperate need of advice. So, for all of those moms and dads out there, if you could leave any words of wisdom about the queries below, we would greatly appreciate it. And even if you're not a mom or dad and you have an opinion, I'd still be interested in hearing what you have to say. :)- Car Seat - infant carrier or transition seat? The infant carrier-style car seat obviously has its benefits - you can take the carseat OUT of the car and take it with you wherever you go. Baby has a ready made soft-spot to sit or sleep in while you grocery shop, sit in church, etc. and you don't have to unbuckle or rebuckle when you get back to the car - just lock the carrier into the base that stays in the car and you're ready to go. However, doesn't the car seat get heavy? Isn't it awkward to lug around? Wouldn't you rather just haul the baby without the plastic - or find an alternate carrying method like a sling or wrap? Transition car seat - the biggest benefit I see here is that you don't have to buy a new car seat when the baby gets too big to be rear-facing. A simple adjustment to the car seat and she's forward-facing - no need to drop more cash on a car seat. What's your preference? Any other pros or cons I'm missing?
- Stroller - is it really worth it to buy one of those huge traveling sets? You know the type - car seat, stroller, umbrella, and a million other "baby necessities" all rolled into one. Or is it better to buy separate and get a simpler stroller than doesn't take up the entire trunk of your car when you fold it down? Any strollers out there that you REALLY love? We're looking into a jogging-stroller, but I don't think a jogging-stroller is that feasible for a baby under 2 months or so. What should I use until then, or do I really need a stroller for a baby so young? Suggestions?
- Wrap vs. Sling - I'm interested in trying a wrap or sling...again, seems like a nice alternative to lugging around a car seat AND adds the benefit of having some hands-free time when the baby doesn't want to be put down. I've heard great things about both wraps and slings, and some not-so-great things. What are the pros and cons? Which are more comfortable to wear? Are they a good alternative to lugging around a car seat, or is it still nice to have the carrier car seat as back-up?
- Pacifier - I know every baby is different and every baby has different preferences, but what are the brand and types of pacifiers that work best for your kids?
- Bottles - I'm planning on breast-feeding, but I will eventually have to go back to work. SO, baby is going to need to be bottle-fed at least during the middle of the day once my maternity leave runs out. I'm also planning on pumping so I can keep the baby on breast milk. What types of bottles/nipples work best to keep a baby "happy" with both a bottle and breastfeeding?
- Essentials - as a first-time mom, I'm feeling rather clue-less about the unforseen "essentials". I've looked over baby checklists and all sorts of things, but what are the REAL essentials? What are the must-have items that no parent should live without?
If you have a moment, I would LOVE to hear any of your ideas and/or suggestions. Thanks, and happy parenting!
17 comments:
I'm over the car carrier. I had one and I never used it long. By 2 months I left it in the car, by 6 months my kids had new car seats because they were too big for the carrier. Besides carrying a 15lb baby plus a 10lb awkwardly shaped car seat was too much work! I bought a britax for cheap and I LOVE it. It's pricey, but it's 5-40lbs and it's the best car seat we've ever had.
As for strollers, no matter what you do, with your first baby, you'll have more than one stroller. It's just trial and error. I hated my travel set since it was huge and clunky. But I've still got it as my quick walk stroller on my patio. I keep my umbrella stroller in my car (try and spend more than $10 on this, it will hold up better and be easier to push) I have a jogger that someone gave me. I also have my double (which you don't need yet!) and I LOVE it. It's a Joovy tandem and it's perfect for Japan. It's lightweight and drives like a dream. I tell people all the time I'd have more babies to keep using the stroller. Joovy has a whole line of new strollers (from umbrella to jogging) if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy more from them.
Riley never dug a sling, but I had a moby wrap and I used it in the front pack style and loved it. I would like an ergo, but those things are too pricey for me.
As for essentials, I say a swing and a good sleep book. The swing will be your savior for things like showering and the book is necessary for your sanity. I like Dr. Weisbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Go get it from the library now! Read it and then continue to read it after baby comes.I call it the sleep bible as I often refer back to it since it's divided by age.
And finally, RELAX! Now may be your only chance to do so. :D
Hey Sis,
I have no advice. Sorry. But I wanted to compliment you on creating a blog post that will get a record amount of comments. They can't resist a solicitation for parenting advice!
Love you. Lots. Sis.
Love my travel system...still use the stroller with Savannah...worked great for walking...not a running one. I did switch car seats around 6 months. By that time it gets way bulky. Love it for the newborn. If planning on more kids not a bad idea. Travel system was the best deal for the money. Used only the umbrella stroller on vacation and we borrowed a friends.
Had the moby wrap...hated it. Great idea but wrapping more cloth around you in summer texas heat not my idea of fun. Savannah never really liked it...she spit up on me almost every time I put her in.
Loved the bouncy chair...had a swing used it for about a month...Savannah didn't really like it. Bouncy chair became the place to feed and sit while I was doing other things.
Baby monitor is great thing to have. It allows you to do things inside and out while the baby is sleeping.
Never used a bottle, but you need a good pump...I have one that someone gave me. Only used it a couple of times, but I couldn't imagine having to use it daily. in other words...get a good one.
Alternative spot for baby to sleep, besides a crib. Pack and play with bassinet. We got a little bed that is supposed to be for your baby to sleep with you in your bed. We have it on the couch...it is a nice portable bed for a newborn. (didn't do pack & play cuz I already have one.)
Book to read helped me lots...On Becoming Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo, Robert Bucknam.
I have a changing pad that holds the diapers and wipes. Love it. Still use it with Savannah. Its great for the places that don't have a changing table...or the place where you don't want to lay your baby on other babies germs. You can grab this and not have to take your whole diaper bag.
I will keep thinking...you will do great..
• Car Seat - I’ve heard several places that the infant carrier is much safer for a newborn than the convertible car seat. Matthias stayed small for so long that we kept him in the carrier until he was 10 months old. It was nice because he would fall asleep in the car and I wouldn’t have to worry about waking him up. It’s hard to tell how long they will be in one but it sure was nice while it lasted. For the convertible car seat, we got Matthias a Britax. If you go that route then buy it in August or February, that’s when they have their sales.
• Stroller - I don’t have much of an opinion on strollers. We were given a basic stroller for Matthias that has worked out great. I think you are right about the jogging stroller not working for a while. We honestly didn’t use our stroller much until Matthias was 4 or 5 months old.
• Wrap vs. Sling - I think a sling or a wrap is a basic need. Matthias was very colicky and was held or slept next to us about 23 hours a day. I wish I had used a wrap or a sling more. I bought a Sleepy Wrap to use for this one and we’ll see how I like it. I didn’t like the HotSling that I bought after Matthias was about 3 months old. It made my shoulder hurt. There are several different websites that compare the different kinds and several websites that show you how to make your own. http://www.mom4life.com/pages/slingcomparisonchart.php
• Pacifier - I’ve always heard that you should what on buying a pacifier until they come to even know if they will take one. Matthias liked the ones they gave in the hospital. The Soothie brand but only used it for a few months.
• Bottles - Bottles were a hard one for us. Many of the ones that we tried were not wide enough and Matthias would leak everywhere. The best luck we had with bottles were the Playtex Drop-Ins. Again, I would tell you to hold off buying a lot because we had a very hard time finding ones that worked for him. The only problem I had with the drop-ins was the fact that I felt like it was a lot of waste throwing away all of the liners. I would look for ones that specifically say something about good with breastfeeding. I also kept Matthias on the smallest hole size so that he would have to work at it like breastfeeding. I don’t know if you are looking for a pump as well but I really like my Medela pump.
• Essentials - Things that I really liked were the bumbo and our swing. I would look on craigslist or something because they are not used that long and can get expensive quickly. Swaddling blankets were a lifesaver. I like the thermal blankets and I’m also going to try out the Muslin cloth this time. Swaddling was the only way we could get Matthias to sleep!
Also if you register at Target, after a few months they will send you a 10% coupon for anything that you did not get on your registry in the meantime.
Good luck! I feel overwhelmed looked through the baby stuff and this is our second. Just get the very basics and wait to see what else she likes/ needs. We’re so excited for you and for David. You will be great parents.
I am no help about the car seat, we bought the cheapest one we could find that would also be safe. The stroller, I'm completely unusual. I hate the big bulky ones. All I've ever had is an umbrella stroller and I love it! I've never done a sling or wrap, but I've heard the wrap is better for your back and more comfortable... Pacifiers. I tried to make my kids take a pacifier and they never liked them, no matter what kind I bought, but if they have a bottle that they like, I recommend buying the same type of pacifier. They get used to the certain type of nipple. For that very reason we had to try several different types of bottles, and each of my kids liked a different kind. Essential items! Plenty of onesies! They go through those the most! A changing pad (usually you can get one with a diaper bag)! Those are super helpful when you have baby blowouts. Then the only unsolicited advice about being a new Mom that I ever give is sleep when the baby sleeps! As a new Mom, I would think of all the things to do when the baby slept and now I wish I had just slept too. The other things WILL get done. Eventually... Those first few weeks, take the opportunity to get rest when you can.
I used the travel seats with my kids when they were little. If I was to do it over again, I would not. I would just invest in a really nice long term convertible seat. I had a friend that loved hers. It would lay back so when you go on long car rides you can lay the seat back while they were sleeping. I didn't use the travel seat long with Duey because he was such a fat little thing. I was pulling him out of the seat by 2 or 3 months.
Invest in a nice stroller that you think you will use. It will be worth it. Especially for when David is not around to help. Its nice to have something that can hold your diaper bag, car keys, a bottle water, or whatever. The last thing you want is to have to carry anything while the baby is in the stroller. Your back and shoulders will hurt enough once she is here from carrying her and rocking her so much. Give your body a break and let her rest in a stroller while you shop or walk around.
Pacifiers are always a guess. All three of mine each took a different one. And Emily wouldn't even rarely use one. (And of course she is the one that screamed the most so I always wished that she would have used one! haha) Just get a couple of like 2 three very different kinds and see what she likes. Then once you find the right kind, go stock up.
Don't worry too much about things. It all will come natural. You will know her needs so fast and like no one else ever will. Every baby is different and that is why you were chosen to be her Mama... you will fit her needs perfectly. I know you and David come from a very supportive family and church family. You will have plenty of help, but believe me, you will figure it all out very quickly and easily. Some babies like swings, some like their bouncers, some just want the crib. It is all trial and error. My only advice is to remember that because she is being born in the fall to remember to keep her on her back while sleeping and to not let her sleep in bed with you. I think if you are going to nurse, one of those play pens with a bassinet to it would be fabulous to put beside the bed. I used one of those pillows that keeps the baby on its back with Duey. I hated it and it actually made me more nervous than comforted because he would slide down and rest his face against it. It wasn't worth the money.
I am so happy for you both! Get ready for the most wonderful thing you will ever experience. You will cry with happiness so many times from the looks, smiles, hugs, and I love yous that are in you and Davids near future! Congratulations!
1. Car Seat: I would definitely go with an infant carrier. They are so little and wouldn't feel comfortable in the transition. You can find some really good deals on those. They are also really great when they are asleep and you are going to the store or restaraunt you don't have to wake them up.
2. Stroller: I would either have a travel system or you could look into the snap n' go. My friend has one of them and then she got a jogging stroller. That way they didn't have 2 big stroller and the snap n' go was inexpensive and the car seat just sets inside.
3. Wraps Definitely! You know how much I love my lovey dud. I use it every single day and do laundry, dishes, dust, you name it wearing that thing. There are also similiar brands.
4. & 5. Briley would take any pacifier or bottle but Kimber refuses ALL pacifiers and ALL bottles. We have spent a small fortune trying all the different brands so not too much help there.
6. Essentials: Definitely some type of swing, floor mat for tummy time and a jumparoo of some sort. Kimber is already bouncing away in hers and she is only 11 weeks. Oh and definitely the 3 B's: Boppy, Bumbo and Breastpump :)
Yeah so exciting.
First, I just want to let you and David know that you are welcome to borrow anything we have! I just wish we lived closer! I am bringing you a few things next week. Every parent and every baby is different but this is what worked for us...
*Car Seat. We started with a travel system. I didn't really see the benefits of it. We could have done just as well with a regular stroller. I did love the Evenflo infant carrier though. We had two bases, one in each vehicle. It was so nice to carry Mackenna around in that seat. I could put it down in the cart in the store, rock her in it while we waited for the doctor, let her take naps in it if we went to visit friends, etc. However, when she got to be about 18 pounds, we had to buy 2 more car seats.
*Stroller. We have had 5 strollers in the past two years: one that was part of the travel system; 2 umbrellas; one with a cart on the bottom and 4 wheels; and a jogging stroller. The jogging stroller is by far the best stroller we have ever had! It is so great with a 2 year old. However, with an infant, I would go with something different. Definitely something with a cart like someone else mentioned. You can put diaper bags, bottles, blankets, etc in it.
*Slings. I have a Snugli baby wrap I am planning on bringing with me to OKC if you guys want to use it. Definitely lets you be hands free, but Mackenna was not a fan of it. All babies are different; she just didn't like being confined in it.
*Pacifiers/Bottles. We were a Soothie family. It was the brand of pacifier Mackenna first had at the hospital. I would try others, and she would scream. I think every baby has their own kind of pacifier they like best. I wanted the pacifier and bottle nipple to be similar so we bought Soothie bottles too. I was really lucky though as Mackenna threw the plug out of her mouth at six months old and never wanted it again! Sippy cups were a different story, but you have a while before that happens! :)
*Essentials. With an infant, a bouncy seat becomes one of your best tools. I carried Mackenna in her bouncy seat from room to room. She loved it! A swing was also an essential, as she did not want to sleep in her bed at night. The swing would calm her down like nothing else could. We also had a jumperoo which was great when she got to be around 4 months old. We had a Bumbo seat, but I never got much use out of it. Mackenna always tried to get out of it. And we are still using the baby monitor we bought when she was born. It is truly a lifesaver!
As for advice, I agree with what someone else mentioned: sleep when the baby sleeps. During the first couple months after Mac was born, I tried to be supermom. I remember moving furniture one night at 2am when John came out and told me I had to go to bed. I wanted to do so much and keep up with it all. I just couldn't do it. I quickly learned that I needed a break too so naps became the way I rejuvenated myself. I will tell you that you do not know what sleep deprivation is until you have a baby. However, I have found that God equips new parents to survive on 3 hours sleep. Somehow I made it through those first few months of 3 hour feedings! I think every parent is overwhelmed at first. There seems to be so much to learn, so much to absorb. You quickly develop a parenting style and you learn to adapt. Parenting is an adventure! It seems something new is always around the corner! We know you and David will be great parents! One way I know this is to see how much planning and thought you are putting into what the baby needs. And Hill is right; you'll get record comments. Other parents are always willing to share their experiences!
okay seriously... I'm just going to email you. Only been a mom for 3 weeks, but there are tons of things I can share with you especially since its what I'm in the middle of day to day. Too much to put as a comment.
Sis,
Wow; a thousand answers to every question & not one of them wrong. At the risk of alienating my wife for the evening [who’s already provided a response] I’ll try to jump in, from a father’s point of view. At this point should I point out the old axiom; if a man offers an opinion & there is no woman to hear him; is he still wrong?
[Part 1]
As to the perfect car seat; one that’s properly installed & safe. That alone can drive you “nuts” for days. A good place to start is at http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS , the NHTSA website for Child Safety in cars. If your vehicle is equipped with a LATCH system [there are connection points in the crease of the seat in most vehicles built after 2002] it is the way to go! If not, your seat will have to be belted in, which is okay… it just requires a little more work. The medic in me will tell you that the two most important things are location & movement. The seat should be located in the middle of the back seat or behind the driver. If it can be placed in the middle of the back seat it places it closer to the center of the vehicle & further away from anything that might “hit you.” If it can’t be placed there it needs to be behind the driver. This provides for less distraction [you won’t be able to “easily” turn around to “check” on your child & thus take your eyes off the road]. Drivers also naturally pay more attention to the driver’s side of their vehicle instead of the passenger side. As to movement – it should NEVER move; specifically the base should never move. So when you think it is mounted in the car as tight as it possibly can be… try again. The trick is putting all of your weight in the chair [David’s weight that is… make sure you have a camera available] while tightening it down. As to an infant carrier, a.k.a. a pumpkin seat; that’s going to depend on what you want. For me I would have to agree with Heather on this one. They are really versatile [sleep; rocking; ease of passing from parent-to-parent; etc.]. They latch right into the car seat base, so no unpacking & repacking of Ava every time you get in & out of the car. Oh, & if you go that route make sure & get an extra base. So much easier than moving a car seat back & forth. With Mac the “grow with you” car seat really wouldn’t have worked. She would start throwing a fit when her seat started to get too small. When she gets older you’ll really need to have two car seats. Oh, & “fancy” doesn’t equal safe! You can get perfectly good car seats at your local Target or “Wally-World”.
[Part 2]
With the stroller; I liked the more versatile ones. But ours got broke early on [we won’t get into how] & we never fully experienced it. This is something I think Dad’s are really good at picking out. Before everyone gets in an uproar, my reason is options. Men love cars with options. For us, being on the go, in the early months having that “one hand release; multi-storage; multi sun-screen; big wheeled [better to get over obstacles with] sack & dual cup holder [not joking] is the way to go. That “monster SUV” of strollers is great; at least for the first several months. After Mac was about a year old we started occasionally using an umbrella stroller; by then we kind of knew what we needed & didn’t need on short jaunts through the mall or store. At 2 y/o/a she has become a lot more interactive & we now bounce back & forth between an umbrella stroller & a jogging stroller depending on the mission, I mean trip.
As to a wrap or sling; Mac hated them, but you know how she is; she’s always on the go & hates to be confined. There is also a slight, very slight, risk of suffocation in newborns that can’t hold their head up yet. The other thing to remember is that if she is “wrapped” around you & you get tired of caring her it’s not as easy to look at David & say, “your turn”. With the pumpkin seat, it’s as simple as “here you go, Dad.”
A pacifier – every kid’s different. By a bunch & try them out. One thing that worked well with Mac was that her “Soothie” pacifier was shaped the same as her bottle’s.
Bottles – see above. With pumps; you get what you pay for. The hospital told us to purchase “Medela” & it was well worth it.
Essentials – First; Sleep Safety - An ultra-firm mattress for her cradle; then crib [FYI – we found a mattress that fit the cradle “perfect” at Babies R’ Us]. In addition; some way to circulate the air in her room [Mom picks this out; not Dad. You don’t need a “Tim, the Tool-Man, Taylor” industrial fan]. A cool-mist humidifier with a good fan is plenty. Sleep sacks or the “pre-fab” swaddlers. And, most of all, a naked crib! No toys, bumper pads, or blankets. All of these are recommended for the prevention of SIDS.
Most of all – don’t change your life for your child. Yes, your life is going to change. Bill Cosby was right – poop can be exciting. But, & I would love to take credit for it, “don’t change your life for your child” was the best advice we received from our pediatrician. He told us that when we said that we were going to cancel “Christmas in Texas” b/c Mac would only be two months old. Don’t stop vacuuming, don’t stop playing the piano, and don’t… fill in the blank. His advice is why Mac is such a good traveler; will sleep through just about any noise once she’s out; & why we’ve been able to maintain some means of normalcy in our life.
Alas, my biggest observation was that you get a 500 pg. manual when you buy a TV; they make you go through a 10 pg. check-list when you buy a new car. When you get a child, you get a car-seat check, congratulations, a smile & a wave as you leave the hospital [you don’t hear the “peals” of laughter after you leave the parking lot!!!]. If you can, take a parenting class; try to sift out all the good advice from the bad; & be prepared to improvise b/c it’s different for everyone. Love you Sis.
I'm not sure if you've gotten WAY TOO MUCH advise, but I'll throw in my two-cents too!
I say get the stroller/car seat combo! I use it for the first year. Once it gets too heavy to lug around I just leave it in the car and by then the baby can usually sit up in the cart. I never had one of the cart covers, but I always thought they looked like a GREAT idea... especially if you are a germ-a-phobe!
You will love the stroller combo for the first couple months, and you and David aren't too tall, so it will be comfortable to push. I still use it for Rebecca... it is a little more bulky to lug around, but it has it's benefits over an umbrella stroller... storage underneath, can lay down, cup holders, tray for baby. The jogging strollers are AWESOME... but the baby doesn't really fit in them right until about 6 months.
I borrowed Myssy's sling for a while and while Rebecca was smaller it was great, but at about 6 or 7 months she was too big and it was really uncomfortable.
I would say to definitely get a swing and a bouncer they are both nice for different reasons. My girls liked to take naps in the swing, and I did feed them their first foods in the bouncer because it was easier to feed them if they were laying back some. I also say definitely get a BUMBO chair! They are a LIFE SAVER!!! It's a little foam molded seat that you can start using as soon as the baby can hold their head up. I didn't have one for Rachel, but I got one for Rebecca and I LOVED it! It also worked great for feeding and they even make trays for them! Another thing I would suggest is just getting the high chair that straps to your chair. It doesn't take up all the extra space and you can take it with you on vacation or even just to your mom's house!
Anyhow, that is my advice... take it for what it's worth!
I think you will get more advice than you really want from this side of town, so I'll just say "Happy Sifting". Personality quirks and personal preferences will be the deciding factor on most things, but it looks like friends have given you a fabulous place to start! Your "Mom Instincts" will get you through more than you will ever imagine.
Carseat - Ella hated the carrier, and we put her in the convertible seat at 4mos. Sophia LOVED the carrier and she didn't go into the convertible seat until 10mos. I think it all depends on the baby. Sophia was so tiny, she liked being snug and the recline in the carrier that the convertible didn't quite provide. Plus it was GREAT when we went to restaraunts!
Stroller - This was my luxury item. I wore out the tires on our Chicco stroller within 3 mos! I walk all the time with Sophia. So we went to a boutique in Portland and bought the UppaBaby Vista after doing a lot of research. It came with the bassinet that you can affix to a base that they sell separately. Also came with the zip-on bug shield and rain cover. Has the ability to convert to a doubles stroller (lengthwise - which is GREAT because its not too wide) and also can have a skid-board attached for a small child to stand on. We liked this because we plan on getting pregnant again in two years, when Sophia is three. This stroller will hold her in the converted seat, the baby in the carrier or the original seat or Sophia can ride on the skid-board. Definitely an investment, but something that will grow with our family and EXCELLENT customer service! (plus, I've been using it almost daily for over a year and the wheels don't need to be replaced and they will never pop or deflate because of the foam filling - great for airplanes)
Wrap -- we couldn't really use a wrap or sling with Sophia because she was preemie. She wasn't up to weight for a sling until she was over 4mos old and at that point, she didn't much care for it. I used a friend's Baby Bjorn a couple of times when I needed both hands, but that was pretty much it.
Pacifier -- we bought Avent but the hospital gave her Soothies in the NICU, we never could get her to go back. Only know that with Soothies, they bounce FAR, so always have a back up. Can't tell you how many we've donated to the mall, Target, Fred Meyers...etc..
Bottles -- Sophia was anti-bottle, so the only one we could find that she would take was the Playtex Wide Nurser (the kind without the bag). We tried Born Free, Avent and Evenflo -- she wouldn't take any of those! I nursed her 99% of the time and she would hold out on eating until I got home because she really didn't like bottles.
Essentials -- burp cloths, white tank top onsies -- GREAT for Sunday under dresses!! Pacifiers (for my girls anyway, these were ESSENTIAL), Dirty clothes bag in the diaper bag, Burts Bees Buttermilk Baby Lotion (both girls have VERY dry skin) Swaddle Blankets (these double as burp cloths!!) Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder...and ultimately, the knowledge that no matter how hard my baby cries -- I will eventually learn to understand what she needs 100% of the time. No one is a perfect Mom. My girls are polar opposites - Ella LOVED baths, Sophia is phobic of standing water! So its all about adapting, because your baby will have her own needs that no one else can teach you beforehand. You will be a wonderful mom!! Don't stress -- I realized after Ella that there really was SO much out there that I never needed!
I kept meaning to get to your blog to give you some advice and the advice I have (as a new mother) is this: EVERY baby is different - so what works for someone else, may not work for you and your baby. I learned this the hard way.
Example: Pacifiers - Elise will not keep one in her mouth and I believe we have tried every single pacifier known to man. She's just not a fan.
Also Carriers: another thing Elise is not a fan of - she likes to be held - but not confined.
As for the Travel Sets, I have one and I like it. The car seat fits right in the stroller so it makes it easy to get her in and out of the car and on our way in a jiffy. Sure, she'll grow out of the car seat in a few months, but then she can sit in the actual stroller. (I have a convertible car seat waiting in the wings).
I agree with Danielle, the Medela pumps are the best. If you are in the market for one - look on e-bay. I got my Medela Freestyle (the newest, littlest and best reviewed one out there) for the same price as the Medela PumpinStyle - and it was brand new. I just use the bottles that come with the Medela breastfeeding kit and she does fine with those.
A good book I recommend is: Baby Wise. I used the methods in there and Elise was sleeping through the night for up to six hours by 6 weeks and up to 10+ by 2 months. This book was recommended to me by other moms who had similar success.
Diapers are another trial and error thing. I buy the Target brand (with the dots on the diapers) because they are cheaper than the Huggies and Pampers but work just as well. Make sure they are the ones with the dots though....it took a while for our Target to get these (again, someone recommended them to me) and the first set of Target diapers I bought were awful. But the dotted ones are terrific - you'll be able to see the blue and green dots through the package.
I agree with Crystal - swings are great!! Oh and we love our Boppy.
I hope this helps. Good Luck Robyn!!!
I kept meaning to get to your blog to give you some advice and the advice I have (as a new mother) is this: EVERY baby is different - so what works for someone else, may not work for you and your baby. I learned this the hard way.
Example: Pacifiers - Elise will not keep one in her mouth and I believe we have tried every single pacifier known to man. She's just not a fan.
Also Carriers: another thing Elise is not a fan of - she likes to be held - but not confined.
As for the Travel Sets, I have one and I like it. The car seat fits right in the stroller so it makes it easy to get her in and out of the car and on our way in a jiffy. Sure, she'll grow out of the car seat in a few months, but then she can sit in the actual stroller. (I have a convertible car seat waiting in the wings).
I agree with Danielle, the Medela pumps are the best. If you are in the market for one - look on e-bay. I got my Medela Freestyle (the newest, littlest and best reviewed one out there) for the same price as the Medela PumpinStyle - and it was brand new. I just use the bottles that come with the Medela breastfeeding kit and she does fine with those.
A good book I recommend is: Baby Wise. I used the methods in there and Elise was sleeping through the night for up to six hours by 6 weeks and up to 10+ by 2 months. This book was recommended to me by other moms who had similar success.
Diapers are another trial and error thing. I buy the Target brand (with the dots on the diapers) because they are cheaper than the Huggies and Pampers but work just as well. Make sure they are the ones with the dots though....it took a while for our Target to get these (again, someone recommended them to me) and the first set of Target diapers I bought were awful. But the dotted ones are terrific - you'll be able to see the blue and green dots through the package.
I agree with Crystal - swings are great!! Oh and we love our Boppy.
I hope this helps. Good Luck Robyn!!!
I know this is late and you probably have everything so I will focus on the big one. The pump.
I use the medela pump. I pump 4-5 times a day, but it used to be 7-8. Alexia couldn't breast feed because of a funny suck that she had(she gave me huge sores and my doc said I had to stop or she will have to send me to the surgeon soon). So she has been drinking breast milk and I have been pumping for 5 months.
Just FYI it is a NIGHTMARE, especially in the beginning. I would recommend starting to pump early because you produce less when you first go to pumping. It's like the pump doesn't suck as hard as the little pumpkin.
Then I would invest in a freezer container and freezer bags. They are wonderful. In a deep freeze the milk will last up to a year. In a regular freezer it lasts 2-3 months.
She drinks out of the playtex drop-ins, but we started with the Tommee Tippee bottles. I really liked those because they helped her learn to suck better. They didn't let her collapse the nipple. We changed because I thought she was allergic to silicone nipples, turns out she's not it milk protein. Anyway, I really like both. With a normal bottle you don't have a continuous bill (drop-ins), but I like the drop-ins as well.
Good luck. Love you.
Post a Comment