So for the background, I received my FIRST snake bite in the spring of 2006 while living in College Station. I was at a young single adult activity (I was actually on my way OUT of the young single adult activity) when I saw a cute little garter snake in the parking lot. So I did the natural thing that any tom-boy reptile-lover would do - I picked it up. I don't think the little tike was too happy with me so he snapped at me and drew a tiny amount of blood. So I did the natural thing anyone who had just been bitten by a snake would do - I put him down. That snake bite wasn't bad at all. Didn't even hurt. It was hard to even prove that I had been bitten. His fangs were so small it was hard to locate the entry point on my hand.
The SECOND snake bite was a little different...in a lot of ways. You see, I wasn't the only one who moved back into my parents' house this past weekend. When David and I came, ALL the pets (the dog, 2 cats, and our boa constrictor) came with us. We put Harry (the boa) in the sewing room (doubling as Jim's room while he's here visiting) because there was more room for the big cage AND because Harry and Jim are buds. However, LaDawn Hancock (good family friend) is coming into town this weekend and needed a place to stay for a few nights. She'll be staying in the sewing room and hates snakes, so to be nice to our guest we decided to move Harry's cage into my room for the weekend. Jim took on the task of moving the tank, and before he moved it he decided to take Harry out. One problem, Harry was comfortably wrapped around his tree at the time and didn't want to give it up, so Jim just took the tree out with him. Problem semi-solved. After the cage was situated we needed to put Harry back in but he wouldn't fit wrapped around his tree. Harry has quite a grip and it often takes two to unwrap him from anything, so Jim and I start on the task. After we got him unwrapped I took Harry from Jim so Jim could put the tree in the cage. Mistake #1 - manhandling a snake when he doesn't want to be manhandled. Mistake #2 - picking up a snake in the spot where he is storing partially digested rats from 4 days ago. A combination of loosing the tree, being bullied around, being vulnerable and cranky because he's still in the process of digesting his last meal, and then being handled in the area where the partially digested meal is sitting was provocation enough to strike. And strike he did. Right on the inside of my arm under the elbow. Luckily, he only held on for a few seconds. He drew MANY drops of blood and left a few bruises too. Now I have a good war story though!
Poor Harry. I'd be pretty irritated too if I were in his position. :)
7 comments:
I'm impressed. There's NO WAY you could get me near an open snake cage, much less touch one. Wow!
go Sis!!! No wonder David loves you. I am also impressed, I picture you taking the whole thing calmly despite the pain.
First question...when the heck did you get a snake? Second question...who's idea was it and if it was David's why did you agree? Third, that is quite the mark he left on you!!! Oh and I am so glad you are gonna come up here this summer!!!
OUCH and YUCK!!
I am glad you are so calm about it all. I am also glad you are an adult and not a child! I dislike Harry even more now! Sorry
To answer Ande's questions...David had the snake about a year before we got married, so when he bought it I really didn't have any input. If he had asked me for input, however, I probably still would've encouraged him to get it. I was secretly quite jealous of David when I found out he had a snake. I guess we fixed that problem. :) Even though Harry bit me I still really like him and wouldn't dream of getting rid of him...which might change when we have kids. But for now he's a cool pet. I'm going to actually keep him in my classroom this coming school year as the class pet.
Hi Robyn. I hope you don't mind me taking a peek at your blog. I don't know if you remember me...I'm Ande's cousin, Katie.
Post a Comment